Tramadol is a medication used in the treatment of moderate to severe pain and it works by changing the way brain and body perceives the pain. What does tramadol do? This opioid medication performs two different actions on the body to treat pain. First, as an opioid analgesic it attaches to the receptors in brain to change the feel of pain. Second of all it works like an anti-depressant by prolonging the effects in the brain. Tramadol pill has its fullest effect in an hour and a half upon consumption of the drug. The immediate release of this pill is available in 50 and 100mg strengths and has a half-life of 6 hours which has to be taken every 4 to 6 hours for continuous pain relief. Whereas extended release of this medication which is used to manage chronic pain is available in 100, 150, 200 and 300mg strengths and lasts for 24 hours. The extended released pill is advised to be taken only once a day for best results. The pill has to be taken exactly as prescribed and should not be broken, crushed or chewed. Tramadol can be taken with or without food but, every time it should be taken in the same way. For best results it is advised not to take tramadol with alcohol or any other central nervous system depressants. When taken with other medicines it may even lead to extreme drowsiness and cause harmful reactions. It is safe to consult a doctor when the medication is overdosed to avoid any complications.
5 specialties of tramadol
When it comes to prescription pain medication people have many options but still tramadol has always been their prominent choice. That is because of the specialties of tramadol
- The major factor is that, the drug helps a person to get relief from pain, where other pain relief pills have failed.
- Tramadol uses special technique by only changing the way body feels the pain. It does not cause any side effects when taken as prescribed by the doctor.
- It has a low risk of physical dependence which makes it more popular than any other pain relief pill.
- Not all pain relief pills provide relief from depression. Tramadol has anti-depressant property that is effective in the treatment of severe depression.
- This pill is the most prescribed one to treat lower back pain, neck pain and other related conditions.
Though the pill has many positive effects it can also cause harmful side effects if taken for a time longer that is prescribed by the physician. If the side effects like, drowsiness, dizziness, vomiting or headache persists it is better to consult a doctor immediately. Do not stop suddenly from taking this medicine as it may increase withdrawal effects like shivering, sweating, diarrhea or trouble with sleeping. Dosage strength may vary from person to person, so it is always safe to take this pill in the prescribed quantity for the prescribed duration of time.